Re: [LUG] MSO, OOo and the executable metaphor

Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 2006-07-12T07:17+0100 John Daragon wrote:
>>> With Web based tools I think a user is more aware of their "data". It's
>>> not just something that sits in their 'My Documents' for some trojan to
>>> trash. It's also probably going to be much safer on a 'Gdisk'.
>> I'm not worried about data integrity. My (and my customers') documents
>> are about as secure in that regard as its possible for data to be. What
>> I *am* worried about is data security. Our documents on someone else's
>> disks ? I refer you to the amateur statement above.
>
> It isn't amateur and this is a stumbling block people need to get over
> in order to embrace Web/network applications.

Yup. "You have to put up with the limitations of Web Apps in order to
embrace Web Apps". And don't we know it ?

> Just because your documents sit on your disk doesn't mean they're secure
> from prying eyes. Your computer has network access doesn't it?

Our documents sit in our document management system. Access is
rigorously controlled, tracked, audited.  As are revisions. We do this
stuff for a living, and our data is either valuable or confidential or
both. I'm not sure it would be legal (let alone sensible) for us to
entrust it to a third party disk space supplier.

> Do you send emails with documents attached?

Only the ones we've decided we want people to see. This decision is
itself audited.  I don't think this is unusual in non-amateur installations.

> Most people currently invest their trust to Microsoft. People might want
> to take the leap and start trusting other companies too and reap the
> rewards.

It's *nothing* to do with Microsoft! We're absolutely pragmatic where it
comes to software selection. Scalix? Absolutely.

jd

--
John Daragon                                       argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage,   Staple Fitzpaine,   Taunton,   TA3 5SL,   UK