Re: [LUG] MSO, OOo and the executable metaphor

On 2006-07-12T01:23+0100 John Daragon wrote:
> As for Web-based office automation ? OK for amateurs. How anyone who a)
> values their data and b)is interested in user experience can think that
> running complex code on shared remote processors is sensible when they
> could run it on an unshared local one is, frankly, beyond me.

With Web based tools I think a user is more aware of their "data". It's
not just something that sits in their 'My Documents' for some trojan to
trash. It's also probably going to be much safer on a 'Gdisk'.

User experience? Can you argue Outlook has a better user experience than
Gmail?

Complex code and Office applications go hand in hand. In fact I would
argue Windows source base is probably the most complex code around. Look
at their docx spec and compare that to ODF.  Trust your data to that
model do you?

The Web based Office is coming.