Re: [LUG] MSO, OOo and the executable metaphor

Not wishing to restart the flaming :P ...

Kai,
from what I've gathered from this thread, you seem to support the idea
that both the documents and the editor should be stored on and run from
the remote server.
I had a look at fckeditor when I was trying to find a more efficient way
of writing pages for my site. It looks really good. Actually, for some
time I had been hoping to find a decent editor for writing my notes at
uni in HTML. I might use fckeditor for that, but I will have to run it
from the local machine as I won't have an Internet connection.

Web-based office apps will never replace conventional local apps,
especially if, as you seem to suggest, they are run from remote servers.
1. It confines the app to the web browser. I know we have tabbed
browsing, but it can quite easily get confusing.
2. Any key commands are interpreted by the web browser first, and many
will never reach the app. You can't use ctrl-t for example. Actually, I
don't think you can use ctrl-anything. Maybe alt is the same.
3. Unless the server is on a local network and you have good wireless
reception or an ethernet connection it will be too slow.
4. A connection to the network might not be available at all- then
you're stuck.
5. Web-based applications will always require more memory and processing
power than their local counterparts. Add to this the need to download
the application every time you start it.

I do think that HTML should be the native format for word-processed
documents (though pictures and diagrams may be an issue), but moving the
application and the documents to web format, especially on another
machine does not sound like a good idea to me.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick? Or the wrong stick? Or not
even a stick at all?

Simon