Re: [LUG] MSO, OOo and the executable metaphor

Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 2006-07-12T08:35+0100 John Daragon wrote:
>>> Just because your documents sit on your disk doesn't mean they're secure
>>> from prying eyes. Your computer has network access doesn't it?
>> Our documents sit in our document management system. Access is
>> rigorously controlled, tracked, audited.  As are revisions. We do this
>> stuff for a living, and our data is either valuable or confidential or
>> both. I'm not sure it would be legal (let alone sensible) for us to
>> entrust it to a third party disk space supplier.
>
> Practically all my data is in subversion and it's probably better
> maintained than your data. :)

My code is in subversion. As are versioned development documents.
Perfectly sensible.

> My point is your network is on the Internet.

No it's not. I'd be pretty surprised if you could work out where I am at
the moment.

> You deal with customers via
> the same network, the Internet. You deliver this 'valuable' data via the
> same insecure network. Who is the amateur? Your sense of security is a
> myth.

10/10 for assumptions, kiddo.

>>> Do you send emails with documents attached?
>> Only the ones we've decided we want people to see. This decision is
>> itself audited.  I don't think this is unusual in non-amateur installations.
>
> Bureaucracy can be added to a Web/network application.
>
>>> Most people currently invest their trust to Microsoft. People might want
>>> to take the leap and start trusting other companies too and reap the
>>> rewards.
>> It's *nothing* to do with Microsoft! We're absolutely pragmatic where it
>> comes to software selection. Scalix? Absolutely.
>
> What is scalix supposed to mean?

It's an open-source mail and diary repository that talks very nicely to
MS Outlook.

--
John Daragon                                       argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage,   Staple Fitzpaine,   Taunton,   TA3 5SL,   UK