LTSP was Re: What is/was your work desktop? was Re: [LUG] SIMS

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 23:05, Rob Beard wrote:
Andrew Rogers wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:

Tom Brough wrote:

There are of course ways of locking down Linux Desktops ... If you want
to save on "re imaging"  (and a stack load of other hardware that
duplicated in each machine thats not necessary for desktop use) use
LTSP
and thin clients ... oh there I go again with my 4 letter acronym. 1
server = 20 + clients. Install software / upgrade software on server =
instant upgrade / install on 20 + clients, got to be worth the savings
on maintenance ? IMHO of course .....

Tom

One of the places I used to work at had a few thin clients but
unfortanately they were WinCE based and the server ran Windows 2000
Server.

With the LTSP, is it possible to use older hardware (Pentium 200's
etc with low memory size) as thin clients?

Yes. I used a P100 with 32 MByte RAM as my first LTSP project.

Regards
Andrew

That sounds interesting, so rather than spending say £500 per machine on
a load of new desktops, the existing desktops can be reused and less
money can be spent on a decent spec server?

Thats good, probably better then my idea of clustering together a load
of old 486's and Pentiums a few years ago at work.

Rob

Yep thats the gist of it given 32Mb's ram and a decent network card the
486's will be fine as clients. Do spend what you can spare on the server
(as you save 500 a pop on the clients you can afford / justify this).
10Mbps networks will work but 100Mbps is a much better choice. One
secured access point for software installation the clients are
effectively terminals and will always remain so. For custom LTSP / LTSP
resources see the guys who started it all off http://www.ltsp.org/ (ok
LTSP concept was around since the first days of X before it was called
LTSP but you know what I mean).

If you are interested in using it for education establishments see the
ready to go distro based on RH FC at http://k12ltsp.org/. The history of
k12ltsp makes very interesting reading, I hate to admit it but MS have
done a lot to "promote" this distro (in a backward and heavy handed way
of course).

Tom.

Who is finding it hard to get through a day with out saying LTSP.