Re: What is/was your work desktop? was Re: [LUG] SIMS

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 10:59, Rob Beard wrote:
Quoting Andrew Rogers <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

The University (ILS seems to be what computing calls itself these days)
Desktop replacement scheme is actually reffered to as the "XP Desktop" I
think, there is no legitimate way to run anything other than Microsoft
XP on these new "Desktop" machines. On top of this they can reboot any
"Desktop" remotely as they please, often at the expense of spoiling a
lengthy research simulation.

It seems like these days most places prefer to go for a completely locked down
desktop with the same software on every PC.  In a way this can be good, any
major problems, just re-ghost the PC and is as good as new, but myself I'm
more in favour of an unlocked desktop which users have a bit of freedom on.

I find that in a support role, the locked down standard desktops are easier to
support, but its not as interesting just supporting the standard MS
applications.  I miss the old days when I was exposed to pretty much anything
and everything and got to play with different kit.

Still, I can't complain too much, I'm working (was out of work for 2 months
before getting this contract), and I'm getting paid well so I can support
myself and my two kids, and at the end of the day, that to me is more
important than what OS I run/support.

Rob

There are of course ways of locking down Linux Desktops ... If you want
to save on "re imaging"  (and a stack load of other hardware that
duplicated in each machine thats not necessary for desktop use) use LTSP
and thin clients ... oh there I go again with my 4 letter acronym. 1
server = 20 + clients. Install software / upgrade software on server =
instant upgrade / install on 20 + clients, got to be worth the savings
on maintenance ? IMHO of course .....

Tom