Re: What is/was your work desktop? was Re: [LUG] SIMS

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:38:14 +0000
Andrew Rogers <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The University (ILS seems to be what computing calls itself these days)
Desktop replacement scheme is actually reffered to as the "XP Desktop" I
think, there is no legitimate way to run anything other than Microsoft
XP on these new "Desktop" machines. On top of this they can reboot any
"Desktop" remotely as they please, often at the expense of spoiling a
lengthy research simulation.

Can they actually remotely reboot *any* machine, or is is that they can remotely
reboot any XP machine that has joined the domain?  I would find it unusual if the
machines in question would allow an unquestioned remote reboot - and if it is
running Linux at the time then it'd have to be a hardware call, probably a BIOS
thing.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.