Re: [LUG] SIMS

On Sunday 05 Dec 2004 9:05 pm, Tom Brough wrote:
1. I haven't met anyone in education who has a good word for SIMS (so
why do we still put up with it ?). Perhaps we all need something that we
love to hate (but also hate to loose).

People put up with it because they don't know anything else and have to use
what's put in front of them. I'm a Governor at Humphry Davy School in
Penzance and they use SIMS (School Information Management System). I have
asked some staff that use it and they say that they reckon the .net version
will be far better integrated and simpler to use. It has been awkward up to
now to transfer data from different modules. It's used for anything from
tracking pupil achievement to school budgets.

From an ICT teacher, I got the classic "we have to teach using the software
students will use when they leave school" (ie. Windows, Word, etc..).
Annoying isn't it. I "put him right", of course. Interesting, especially as
the local council, Penwith, uses SunOS and Star Office!

Peter.