[LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

Hi

Just had a chat with Kevin at Farseer, He wants to sell a line of PC's running Linux so they are cheaper than the windows boxes he sells. One of the problems is that not just Linux users are going to buy them. Because they are cheaper, any user will go for them simply because they are cheaper.

His concernes are

Most users expect any computer to run the same way as windows, even a complete newbe who won't know the difference they are not going to want to be compiling a driver to get the web cam to work, recompiling the kernel (not really relevant now), or anything else technical. Most are not going to read the manual, or understand the difference and want to run LInux in teh same way as they would windows.

Windows users just expect things to work. e.g

A few years ago we were selling old kit (486's) at the tech, cheap, and some of the people were asking "does this run XP". Essentially, this is the problem and the level of users that could be buying these boxes.

I did suggest advertising simply to existing Linux users but he said he needs sales. I think some of the lug members have dual booted systems of friends to give then a taste of Linux with some success.

We need to look at this from a beginner point of view, it goes back to is Linux ready for the desktop, there is no full answer to this, If I worked in an office, and just needed MSwindows and an office suite, there is no reason why I can't use Linux/X/and open office,

However for home users, who want to play all the new games that are out, the situation is different, and they won't want to bother with reading manuals, compiling software etc.

What do people suggest, because a linux system is cheaper, then people are going to buy it for that reason. and then as he said complain to him if things don't work, (I can get my windows game to work), even if it says this runs Linux. I have found getting things working takes time, and involves a lot of work that is not needed under windows (e.g Starwars galactic battlegrounds just works).

I think aiming these systems at perhaps linux user groups, would be better,or even students, going to uni (however even then they may need both Windows and Linux). He also said it was difficult to sell blank systems because of piracy, etc.

I am stuck, imagine a person who has never touched a computer before, or perhaps had done clait at their local college, buying a computer cheap running Linux, how suitable is that machine for them.?

I think there is a lot of good reports on Linux and it's made out to be a great alternative to windows and will do everything (perhaps over hyped), what people fail to mention is the extra work that goes into getting it too work, (e.g dvd drivers, nvidia, drivers etc), not much for us, but for some will not be good enough.

so again?
Is Linux ready as a 100% replacement for windows for new home users (truthfully), but also as a system that people can do everything and anything they want. So I can buy any game for windows and run it on linux which as I said earlier people will expect.

I did point out that Wine is Alpha, and he said that was no good, so even things like vmware are not an option, because that needs a legal copy of Windows.

Anyone got any suggestions. He is going to drop off a computer saturday (possibly) so I can install Linux on that, (however I am very bad at selling Linux advantages), which is going to cause problems as when he says "windows is easier) I have no answer, same goes for him saying that his MS boxes are correctly set up and he has no problems with viruses etc, (he has MSCE or whatever it is), etc, from my experience Linux is more stable than Windows, (even though Linux apps crash), but he has got MS systems that never crash),

so I really could do with some help on marketing and as I said hes better off chatting to people from the Lug, who can argue points far better than me.

One thing even as I type this Mozilla mail is acting weird and the mouse won't highlight and goes sluggish sometimes, this is even with 512 mb of memory, (windows version works better), thats what we are up against, I am used to quirks and work round them. But he will not see it that way as he is used to running Windows and knows what he is doing.

thanks for any help
Paul