Re: [LUG] Use Jitsi for video conferencing was Re: Skype

On 27/03/2020 13:17, Eion MacDonald wrote:

If you decide to teach at the local library, there are a number of
points to  consider. I teach at local library and have done so for many
years.

That was brilliant, thanks so much.

It has never occurred to me to teach in our local library. Anyway it is very small so it would be too distracting to other library users.

First, find out what they want to do with their computer, be it
Android phone, laptop, (Chromebook, or MS Windows, or Linux).
Rarely do I ever see a macOS user.

First problem, I have not used Windows for 20 years (yes, not a typo, 20 years) so I can help only with Linux. (Or I must get myself up to date with Windows.) Also it would need to be a laptop.

If they want to put a Linux distro on their computer, I take them though
this.

I can do that.

However very few need this  or want it. Mostly old age pensioners with
Vista era laptops, which I change to a Linux system so they can use
safely. They do not want to buy a new computer.

Again, I can install Linux for them.

If they use as their personal computer a MS Windows laptop then they
bring this into library. I show and instruct on library's computer.
I tend to check that they are up to date on software, Windows version.
Anti-virus etc.

Don't think I can help with that. I am beginning to realise that I will need to help them at their home, or at mine. And I need to get to know Windows again. (Many years ago I did computer training, and it was all Windows back then. I have also, in the past, set up databases for small companies. Yes, Windows again.)

Check they can log on to WiFi securely.
Check they understand risks of public WiFi.

Fine with all that.

On the few folk who use Linux (Put on Linux by me as computers were XP
or Vista era) I tend to use LTS version of Xubuntu, set to  auto update
to next LTS version. They cannot master downloading an ISO to do  6
month or yearly update. [some on Linux Lite have to do ISO update with help]

I have used Xubuntu so know it well. I have also used Linux Lite.

Main help needed by younger folk is instructing them how to use library
computers to do job applications, as almost all 'employer's recruiting
agencies' want PDF CVs or demand it in MS Office format.

Don't think I can help with that.

Preparation of this CV , uploading to job agency, and sending a copy
to their Android Smartphone for storage is main deal. If they use Gmail
I get them to store copies of CV, (document format)  on Google Docs /
and PDF of driving license, and CV (and versions of it) on Google Drive
so it is available form any local library computer.

Not sure about all that.

The Linux folk , all retired, only want email, (plus attachments, photos
etc.) browser search (DuckDuckGo is recommended to them), FaceBook for
family stuff, and occasional purchase of Local Government stuff (green
bin charge, parking charge, bus pass etc. ) Government with 'all on
internet' is NOT friendly to aged with partial defective memories.
For safety, I get them ONLY to use phone banking from their LANDLINE
connection, where they dial into bank's number.

I also do two folk with Linux in my local U3A computer class.

I trust this helps.

Yes it all helps me to focus my mind more on what I know (and don't know) and what I can offer. It is becoming clear to me that I should concentrate more on helping the older members of our community.

Many thanks again for taking time with all this,

Neil