[LUG] Use Jitsi for video conferencing was Re: Skype

On Saturday, 21 March 2020 13:19:05 GMT Neil wrote:

> This has come about because of the recent posts about online meetings
> for the LUG group.

Worked with Jitsi Meet before.

Jitsi is the basis of video chat for a bunch of free software products.

It is well tested, and widely used, if a bit complex in places under the hood.

At Surevine one of my colleagues whipped up tighter security interface for it
with Rocket Chat (who use it as a video conference solution whilst they
develop their own WebRTC based solution). That is on GitHub, the issue was
that if you could find the room URL you could join a private chat, we sorted it
so Jitsi rooms got the same SAML based controls as the RocketChat room they
related to, we also found a pile of bugs in the SAML support in RocketChat,
which they fixed really fast, that'll teach them to use the SAML implementation
that came with their framework :(

Meantime you can go to

https://meet.jit.si

and type a room name.

You then share the URL

https://meet.jit.si/YourRoomNameHere

and other people can drop in and chat.

As a group we should be encouraging free software solutions, I appreciate we
need to be pragmatic at times like this, but this is a solution that works and
is simple for people to understand and use.

Some of the solutions are mired in corporate politics. I can no longer work
out if it is Google or Microsoft breaking Hangouts on Edge, nor whether it is
deliberate or stupidity behind it, but then I no longer care either.

Jitsi is good, try it, figure out any issues, get them fixed so less technically
minded people can use it too, this is how we roll.

If you want Open Source, and a bit more support, and Jitsi isn't cutting it (I
believe commercial support is available), consider Wire (wire.com).