Re: [LUG] Use Jitsi for video conferencing was Re: Skype

On 25/03/2020 14:39, Simon Waters wrote:

Jitsi is the basis of video chat for a bunch of free software products.

It is well tested, and widely used, if a bit complex in places under the hood.

At Surevine one of my colleagues whipped up tighter security interface for it
with Rocket Chat (who use it as a video conference solution whilst they
develop their own WebRTC based solution). That is on GitHub, the issue was
that if you could find the room URL you could join a private chat, we sorted it
so Jitsi rooms got the same SAML based controls as the RocketChat room they
related to, we also found a pile of bugs in the SAML support in RocketChat,
which they fixed really fast, that'll teach them to use the SAML implementation
that came with their framework :(

Meantime you can go to

https://meet.jit.si

and type a room name.

You then share the URL

https://meet.jit.si/YourRoomNameHere

I did have a look. However, it did not like the browser I was using, PaleMoon. It seems that it requires chrome or chromium. Not even firefox.

I did try chromium, some time ago. Not for me thanks. I never use FF, but it is installed so I could use that. So I will give Jitsi a miss.

Neil