Re: [LUG] Use Jitsi for video conferencing was Re: Skype

On 26/03/2020 12:42, Michael Everitt wrote:

So yeah, actually on this one, I'm totally with you, Neil - FOSS developers
are getting selfish and arrogant, and forgetting their roots. It started
with SystemD and Poettring, and it's spreading everywhere else with the
Rust and Go ecosystems, driven hard by the Big Boys in the game, and their
millions of dollars in backing. This isn't really good for the ecosystem
all, and it's killing those people who retain the original Unix philosophy
of "Do One Thing Well" and those with a modicum of 'doing it properly' and
'testing thoroughly' which ought to have become a lot /easier/ with CI & CD
tooling available.

Instead, everyone's taking the shortcuts and the easy route, and we end up
with the mess that is OSS at the present time. I hope the tide will change,
but with the current sea of 'CADT' (look it up) I am not very hopeful.

*raises a glass to Neil* this one's on me, bud.

Thanks for the reply, Michael. But now I am getting more worried than ever about the future of FOSS. You are telling me that the whole philosophy is changing, for the worse. And we are going to finish with the old "take it or leave it" system. My only hope is that some of the smaller groups, like Palemoon, will be able to carry on and give us some choice.

And yes, I did look up CADT. Hope is fading,

Neil