Re: [LUG] Use Jitsi for video conferencing was Re: Skype

On 26/03/20 13:17, Neil wrote:
> On 26/03/2020 12:42, Michael Everitt wrote:
>>>
>> So yeah, actually on this one, I'm totally with you, Neil - FOSS developers
>> are getting selfish and arrogant, and forgetting their roots. It started
>> with SystemD and Poettring, and it's spreading everywhere else with the
>> Rust and Go ecosystems, driven hard by the Big Boys in the game, and their
>> millions of dollars in backing. This isn't really good for the ecosystem
>> all, and it's killing those people who retain the original Unix philosophy
>> of "Do One Thing Well" and those with a modicum of 'doing it properly' and
>> 'testing thoroughly' which ought to have become a lot /easier/ with CI & CD
>> tooling available.
>>
>> Instead, everyone's taking the shortcuts and the easy route, and we end up
>> with the mess that is OSS at the present time. I hope the tide will change,
>> but with the current sea of 'CADT' (look it up) I am not very hopeful.
>>
>> *raises a glass to Neil* this one's on me, bud.
>>

> Thanks for the reply, Michael. But now I am getting more worried than
> ever about the future of FOSS. You are telling me that the whole
> philosophy is changing, for the worse. And we are going to finish with
> the old "take it or leave it" system. My only hope is that some of the
> smaller groups, like Palemoon, will be able to carry on and give us some
> choice.
>
> And yes, I did look up CADT. Hope is fading,
>
> Neil

I think it's potentially one of the consequences of Linux quietly going
corporate .. and well .. that and teenagers in bedrooms ..

How's the DoJo going - what's your experiences of the
next-generation-to-come .. it's those we probably ought to influence and
win-over! :/

MJE