Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 03/04/17 02:49, Daniel Robinson via list wrote:
Why are we trying to get into bios in order to install a Linux
distribution? Can't we just image an iso onto a usb and boot the
computer up from that.

Often there is another menu, outside of bios that allows you to mash a
key F10 on my motherboard, which then presents you with a list of
available drives to boot from.
Select the USB device and away you go...

Which distro are you looking to try out?

May I suggest that you could buy a decent 8/16GB USB memory stick or
many of them and Install your new Linux flavours onto them, That way you
keep your nicely setup Xubuntu install and eventually, once you've
resolved the entering bios issue you can swap between distro's by
swapping USB keys in and out.

No doubt this is a really bad idea, but it's an idea non-the-less.
Hope you get things sorted.

Regards

Daniel

The iso for the distro I want to install is already set up and ready on a USB stick. And yes, I know we have been talking about getting into the BIOS but originally I was trying to get to the 'choose where to boot' menu. On my set up that is F11, so I was 'mashing' that one. And that didn't work. That is why I went on to try to get into the BIOS and that didn't work either.

Neil