Re: [LUG] Sat Nav Updates

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 18:34:07 +0100
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 29/03/15 17:55, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> <snip>
> > I have been reading all this with interest. Meanwhile I have been
> > researching some more. It seems to me that the first thing you have
> > to do with a new sat nav is to register it. This requires me to
> > download and then run an exe file. Sorry, but I can't run an exe
> > file.
> Not necessary in my experience.  I have a TomTom, and went on their
> website, created an account for updates and linked the serial number
> of the SatNav to that account.  No registration exe.
>
> Downloading updates is a deeper issue.  With my old TomTom the files
> downloaded individually and were stored on an SD card so all I had to
> do was download them as per any other file, pop out the SD card and
> transfer them to it.  Now all the memory is internal to the SatNav
> and you must use the Windows utility MyDriveConnect (which doesn't
> run in WINE) to download and install updates.  The only thing I use
> Windows for these days.  A VM might do it though.
>
> Julian

Thanks to you and Big Apple for all the ideas and help. Since the death
of my desktop computer I am now using my laptop. I did have VBox set up
on the desktop but have never bothered to do so on the laptop. That
can soon be sorted.

Meanwhile, another thought. My son-in-law runs Windows on his laptop.
(My daughter uses Linux since I bought the laptop for her and put Linux
on it.) So I could perhaps use that.

Neil