Re: [LUG] Sat Nav Updates

>Do one thing and do it well. That's the linux mantra...

I think you are misappropriating a mantra there from Unix programming.

Fair play. :)
I have a bunch of Garmin devices (Etrex, Nuvi, etc.) but all with
openstreetmap style maps loaded (although not usually actual osm data).

I too use the OSM on the handhelds, which are mostly used for direct routing so the map routing ability doesn't matter. (The price for the official OS maps from Garmin is ridiculous - Â300 for the UK!)

I agree those devices are durable and have good battery life but that
isn't all that relevant in a car. They are also expensive, have

No, and nor is accuracy to a large extent.Â
rubbish touch screens and are a pain to update the maps.

Definitely not in the case of the later model GPSrs - my 650 is a multitouch the same as a decent phone (only harder glass than most phones - but still gets scratched when you slide over granite rocks and it's beneath you...)

And updating OSM maps on Garmin products - easier than downloading one free file and copying it across? If you're doing it any other way, then I refer Sir to;Âhttp://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/Â