Re: [LUG] Sat Nav Updates

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 17:37:49 +0100
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > >Do one thing and do it well. That's the linux mantra...
> > >
> > I think you are misappropriating a mantra there from Unix
> > programming.
> >

> Fair play. :)
>

> > I have a bunch of Garmin devices (Etrex, Nuvi, etc.) but all with
> > openstreetmap style maps loaded (although not usually actual osm
> > data).
> >

> I too use the OSM on the handhelds, which are mostly used for direct
> routing so the map routing ability doesn't matter. (The price for the
> official OS maps from Garmin is ridiculous - Â300 for the UK!)
>
> I agree those devices are durable and have good battery life but that
> > isn't all that relevant in a car. They are also expensive, have
> >

> No, and nor is accuracy to a large extent.
>

> > rubbish touch screens and are a pain to update the maps.
> >

> Definitely not in the case of the later model GPSrs - my 650 is a
> multitouch the same as a decent phone (only harder glass than most
> phones - but still gets scratched when you slide over granite rocks
> and it's beneath you...)
>
> And updating OSM maps on Garmin products - easier than downloading
> one free file and copying it across? If you're doing it any other
> way, then I refer Sir to; http://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/

I have been reading all this with interest. Meanwhile I have been
researching some more. It seems to me that the first thing you have to
do with a new sat nav is to register it. This requires me to download
and then run an exe file. Sorry, but I can't run an exe file.

So that's it, End of story.  I certainly don't  remember having to do
anything like that with our current Tomtom which we bought some years
ago. . So not only will I not be able to run any updates, I won't even
be able to get started.

Or have I got this wrong?

Neil