Re: [LUG] Sat Nav Updates

>>Doesn't everyone just use a smartphone for SatNav?
>No.

Another no from me.
It depends on how involved you want to get but it's coming to the time
when you are better off just using an old (or new and cheap) Android
device and an app like osmand (if you are happy with openstreetmap)
which doesn't need 3g so a cheap small tablet with gps would work well.
Try out the gps on the device first though as some of the cheap ones are
rubbish.

Do one thing and do it well. That's the linux mantra and one that expands into Satnavs. I use a variety of in-car and portable GPSr and no phone and app combination has come close to reliability, durability battery life, accuracy and functionality as my Garmin Oregon 450 or 650. I forget the model of my Garmin satnav, but it's very nice and does traffic without needing a contract, and lifetime maps.

Phone satnavs are nice as a backup, but use more power, have poorer GPS receivers (thus accuracy and time-to-fix, although using mobile signals to triangulate is useful to get you in the right area) and are too quiet. You can argue you can bluetooth pair your phone to the stereo, but not in any of my cars you can't!

That's my perspective. The majority of car satnav buyers will be "It's easier - it just works" which is a useful option too.

OSMand is not that good on routing IME - and I say that as a very active OSM mapper. (Mind, Garmin's routing isn't awesome either).Â