Re: [LUG] Sat Nav Updates

On 29/03/15 17:55, Neil Winchurst wrote:
<snip>
I have been reading all this with interest. Meanwhile I have been researching some more. It seems to me that the first thing you have to do with a new sat nav is to register it. This requires me to download and then run an exe file. Sorry, but I can't run an exe file.
Not necessary in my experience. I have a TomTom, and went on their website, created an account for updates and linked the serial number of the SatNav to that account. No registration exe.

Downloading updates is a deeper issue. With my old TomTom the files downloaded individually and were stored on an SD card so all I had to do was download them as per any other file, pop out the SD card and transfer them to it. Now all the memory is internal to the SatNav and you must use the Windows utility MyDriveConnect (which doesn't run in WINE) to download and install updates. The only thing I use Windows for these days. A VM might do it though.

Julian