Re: [LUG] Satnavs

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 11:26:41 +0100, Eion MacDonald
<eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On 03/04/2014 23:06, Julian Hall wrote:
>> With a SatNav it doesn't matter if you can't see anything as long as
>> you can see /it/.
>
>AND you do not move except very cautiously. SatNavs for civilian use
>are not accurate within 6 feet (deliberately). So easy to walk over an
>edge. USA military accuracy is 10cm!

As Gordon says, this is largely out of date now.

There are a bunch of projects about to produce centimetre level GPS
receivers for regular folks to buy. Here's one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swiftnav/piksi-the-rtk-gps-receiver?ref=live

Still not my idea of cheap at $900 but is way cheaper than what is
available now.

Kevin