Re: [LUG] Satnavs

On 3 April 2014 14:37, <lug@xxxxxx> wrote:
I have a soft spot for the Harveys topographic map of Dartmoor when
walking up there but otherwise I am really done with paper maps which
is a shame as I have a massive bookshelf full of them.

I would like a robust tablet with a good GPS chipset (incl.
Glonass support) and a bright screen for walking. I have used my Nexus 7
in a waterproof cover for this but the screen isn't really bright
enough in the sun and I am always worried about dropping it.

Have you tried a "proper" walking gps?

I have an Oregon 450 (robust, reliable, a little slow in updating and it's a single-touch screen) which I really like and it's done many miles with me on dartmoor. It was actually a very foggy day near Cranmere Pool that made me decide to get one, as maps became very pointless in 20 yard visibility.  I use the free OSM maps with that, but also have the 50k OS maps which aren't detailed enough for my tastes.

I also have an Oregon 650 which is being RMA'd as soon as Garmin get their finger out - much nicer device, but crashes constantly.

Both do GLONASS and WAAS and are as accurate as you will need, even in tree cover or deep gullies.

But both are lightweight, waterproof and robust. (That said, I have broken the screen twice whilst scrambling on granite, but I do wear it on my hip. In each case, a replacement screen is only £15 and it's easy enough to do yourself)

It's also useful to keep tracks of your journeys on Basecamp (the free software) - which builds up to a nice picture after a while - here, take a look;

http://imgur.com/zyBeWw4

Pink this year, blue last, red the year before, green pre-gps. Each one can be zoomed in and show the distance, speed, elevation track, etc etc. Really good, nerdy, stuff.