Re: [LUG] Satnavs

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014, Kevin Peat wrote:

On 3 April 2014 20:03:25 GMT+01:00, Adrian Midgley <amidgley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When I was navigating in the Highlands with 20m visibility in the snow
GPS
had not been launched.  Knowing how to do it with map and compass is
not to
be disregarded.

From Dr Adrian Midgley's hand

Extra skills are always handy but when I have been walking on the open moor and a thick fog comes in I would prefer a gps receiver to a paper map every time :]

Until the batterys go flat.

When Galileo starts working [next year?] there will be 3 separate "GPS" networks to rely on which should make it pretty resilient. So massive solar flare, nuclear war or alien invasion notwithstanding I am fairly happy to rely on it.

Until you drop it down a hole.

Map & compass skills are good to have IMO. I used to teach them when I lived in Scotland - got me out of more than one pickle when munroing when the weather unnexpectedly changed - and once on Dartmoor when the foggy mizzle came down.

However I did get a GPS for walking (on Dartmoor) - some little Garmin unit that took 3 x AAA's. Used it to do the 2 moors way a few years back, however it wasn't a moving map type - one of the early waypoint ones where you had to upload the waypoints into, so I had a copy of some commercial software to go with it. The batteries would just about last a day! Not sure it's any use now as I no-longer have the PoS software who lied to me on their website about the maps they would supply )-:

Gordon