Re: [LUG] Satnavs

On 03/04/14 11:21, Simon Avery wrote:

OSMAND works will for me. Does not need wifi

Looks good - wonder why it used Bing for sattelite and OSM for maps.....

Because OSM doesn't do satellite...?

Personally, despite owning a decent android phone, I dislike using it for satnav. A one-job tool that starts with the key, tracks where I've been via GPX and doesn't try to do everything it possibly can - is a better tool IMO, so I use a satnav.

(A note of caution: OSM maps unfortunately do contain routing errors, and I say that as a volunteer OSM mapper. Some software is better at ignoring/overcoming these but my old Nuvi, using TalkieToaster's routable mapset, has very often said "Nope!" when I've asked it to route along quite major roads in the southwest. The very old maps on the Nuvi let me down badly in Cornwall this week though. I have bought a cheap tomtom off ebay with a smashed screen and am awaiting a replacement from China to replace it.)

I've got 3 tomtoms but no windows so they complain about me driving through fields and one doesnt even know about a large bridge in Barnstaple!
Tom te tom te tom no relation.