Re: [LUG] Satnavs

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014, Martin Gautier wrote:

I'm tracking this thread to see what Linux up-datable satnavs people suggest. Personally, I use my Galaxy Note and Google's "Navigation" product quite successfully though I find a map->brain->common sense interface works best of all.

I'd suggest spending £300 on a Nexus 5 and using Google maps... The downside is that it does need a data connection - fortunately the N5 has that built-in (either 3/4G or Wi-Fi). You can make it cache map areas though, so that's handy. (Especially with free Wi-Fi if roaming) Oh, and it doubles up as a phone, interenet thingy and game playing device too. And one day I'll be able to use google wallet and NFC with it too...

As always common sense prevails - I carry a paper map in my car and renew it every couple of years and whenever possible I always use my desktop to preview a route beforehand - (OSM and Google if I have time) the satelite option is good in google maps as it gives you an idea of the countryside, as is google streetmap.

That combination has worked remarkably well for me for the past few years.

Gordon