Re: [LUG] Satnavs

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 13:46:34 +0100 (BST), Gordon Henderson
<gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Thu, 3 Apr 2014, Simon Avery wrote:
>
>> Overall a fairly frustrating experience and reinforced my personal
>> preference for a standalone satnav that does one job well.
>
>Or a paper map and a compass.

I have a soft spot for the Harveys topographic map of Dartmoor when
walking up there but otherwise I am really done with paper maps which
is a shame as I have a massive bookshelf full of them.

I would like a robust tablet with a good GPS chipset (incl.
Glonass support) and a bright screen for walking. I have used my Nexus 7
in a waterproof cover for this but the screen isn't really bright
enough in the sun and I am always worried about dropping it.

Kevin