Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

Although in fairness to the integrating the UI and OS question, I was
fairly surprised when Windows 8 update failed with an error that says it
can't talk to the task bar icon. 80243004

Wouldn't be so bad but the UI exposes an option to hide the icon which
does it seem break Microsoft update.

I guess this isn't strictly mixing OS and UI, since presumably I can
push the upgrades without using Microsoft update. But there is something
very wrong here, just need to know more about the innards to say
precisely what.

It also took about 6 hours to decide it wasn't going to install half the
updates I asked it to do, really vanilla install of Windows 8 (possibly
rather stale).

I fear just a symptom that it is too complicated to be secure or robust,
I fear there are a whole load of clone desktops on a variety of
operating systems which are just a little bit down the complexity curve
that leads to paralysis in the development.