Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

On 16/02/14 08:29, Mark Evans wrote:
> On 14/02/14 23:12, Julian Hall wrote:
>
>> Another strategy would have been for Microsoft to follow the Linux path
>> and separate the GUI/Window Manager from the OS and during installation
>> let the user choose.  I had a laptop supplied for a recent course [1]
>
> Microsoft made the decision to "integrate" the OS with the GUI. Even to
> the extent of "entangling" OS code with UI code. (In effect they
> deliberatly chose to write "sphaghetti code".)
> This also means that it's very hard to impossible to have an actually
> "headless" Windows server. Something you can easily do with any unix
> type system. (Also something you could do with OS/2 and RISCOS.)
> That would be the more obvious practical upshot of a version of Windows
> which separated OS from GUI.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Server 2012/2008
has an excellent headless mode (known as "core server") that is fully
supported and in heavy use world wide by people who actually know what
they're doing. I personally support about 100 instances of headless
Windows servers, administered chiefly through powershell and SSH.

Please do not post such obviously clueless bullshit about subjects you
are in no way qualified to discuss. 5 seconds on google would have
taught you the error of your ways - congratulations on being
embarrassingly and factually wrong.

The level of weapon-grade anti-Microsoft FUD and pure stupidity
sometimes displayed on this list occasionally succeeds in making me
really, really cross. This is one of those occasions.

Please all of you: I get that you don't like Microsoft on some kind of
retarded, self-defeating principle. That's fine. But some of us are
professionals who know how to use the right tool for the right job and
aren't swayed by agenda wielding FLOSStards and their stupid empty
rhetoric. You do not help yourselves when you say things as blatantly
incorrect and moronic as this.

Regards