Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

On 14 February 2014 22:16, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Most users don't give a fig any more about this stuff. They are use to
Android, and iOS, and Windows XP, Windows 7, and they really don't want to
have to change anything at all. Okay they like the ability to change a few
things occasionally, mostly they want it to "just work". Most home users
are pretty disgruntled at a login screen (unless they have kids). If they
must have password don't give them a username to remember. As a result you
see people migrating to Windows 7 because they took a 5 second look at 8
in the shop and decided "no".

You *get* it.

MIcrosoft didn't with 8.

Metro was a huge mistake, another example of marketing arrogance thinking it can change the world without considering the  most important thing: users.  It's not the first time MS have mis-judged a market drastically, but they've got it right more times than not. I can't recall when they got it /quite/ as badly wrong as this, even Vista was usable in comparison.

Nobody should rely on having to download something else to make an OS usable, much less something from a random site that's in no way endorsed by the OS creators.

It's 2014. We've had computers for a long time and most people are familiar and adaptable - but similarly, computers are tools and the OS merely a way of accessing that tool. It should never get in the way of expectations.

Bad Apple - love you to bits - but you occasionally suffer from "I know this, I can do it, so it's not a problem." :)