Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

On 14/02/14 23:12, Julian Hall wrote:

> Another strategy would have been for Microsoft to follow the Linux path
> and separate the GUI/Window Manager from the OS and during installation
> let the user choose.  I had a laptop supplied for a recent course [1]

Microsoft made the decision to "integrate" the OS with the GUI. Even to
the extent of "entangling" OS code with UI code. (In effect they
deliberatly chose to write "sphaghetti code".)
This also means that it's very hard to impossible to have an actually
"headless" Windows server. Something you can easily do with any unix
type system. (Also something you could do with OS/2 and RISCOS.)
That would be the more obvious practical upshot of a version of Windows
which separated OS from GUI.