Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

On 16/02/14 17:50, Simon Avery wrote:
>> But I dislike factually incorrect statements being perpetuated. Win8 is
>> the best desktop OS Microsoft have ever produced (which of course may
>> not actually be saying much).
>>

> I've got a problem with these two sentences. Something being "best" is
> usually a subjective viewpoint, not a *fact* - and that's true here too, I
> believe.

Even when there are objective facts involved context can be important.
There's a difference between "The best tool for ANY job" and "The best
tool for (a specific) job".
Whilst Windows 8(.1) might be the best desktop (workstation) OS for
running (some specific set of) Windows software in Feb 2014 this might
not be the case if a different set of software is needed (especially
none of it is Windows specific). That would also most likely cease to be
the case at some point in the future.

> Imagine you didn't already know my viewpoint and if my some magic I were to
> agree that Win8 was the best all-round OS MS had ever released (and that
> would have to include Metro, I'm afraid. Once you start meddling with
> settings you're no longer stock and it's not the OS MS released), it's

Even without "classic shell" a usable machine is likely to need non
Microsoft software. e.g. flash, java. (Likely also non Microsoft
anti-malware.)
Adding third party software to WSUS or Windows Update appears to require
third party software. By contrast it's quite easy to extend dpkg to
handle any piece of software, assuming it's not already in the standard
repositories. It's also easier to replace in use files with a unix style
system than with Windows. Whilst Windows has improved in it's ability to
update without rebooting it still has issues of needing to reboot and
even to come up in a special "updating" mode. By comparison a Linux
system only needs a reboot if the kernel is changed and that will always
be a "normal" reboot.

> still factually not the best /performing/ os on limited hardware. It's not
> the best at being efficient with memory, or best at using the least disk
> space, or the best at booting quickly. It's not the best in terms of
> economy.

New hardware costs money as does installing new hardware. Especially if
the latter also requires software to be (re)installed.