Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

On 16/02/14 23:59, Simon Waters wrote:
> Although in fairness to the integrating the UI and OS question, I was
> fairly surprised when Windows 8 update failed with an error that says it
> can't talk to the task bar icon. 80243004
>
> Wouldn't be so bad but the UI exposes an option to hide the icon which
> does it seem break Microsoft update.

A workaround can be to download the .exe or .msu files then run them.
Sometimes this will "just work", other times you will get a more useful
error message.

> I guess this isn't strictly mixing OS and UI, since presumably I can
> push the upgrades without using Microsoft update. But there is something
> very wrong here, just need to know more about the innards to say
> precisely what.

One of the things I find especially ironic is that Windows is often
described as "simple". When it is actually a very complex system. Where
not all the parts (and interactions between parts) could be considered
"well documented".