Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

But I dislike factually incorrect statements being perpetuated. Win8 is
the best desktop OS Microsoft have ever produced (which of course may
not actually be saying much).

I've got a problem with these two sentences. Something being "best" is usually a subjective viewpoint, not a *fact* - and that's true here too, I believe.

Imagine you didn't already know my viewpoint and if my some magic I were to agree that Win8 was the best all-round OS MS had ever released (and that would have to include Metro, I'm afraid. Once you start meddling with settings you're no longer stock and it's not the OS MS released), it's still factually not the best /performing/ os on limited hardware. It's not the best at being efficient with memory, or best at using the least disk space, or the best at booting quickly. It's not the best in terms of economy.

To find the best MIcrosoft OS those you'd have to go back a good few years when an OS was just an OS, not the OS+Complete_Suite_Of_Software_To_Corner_Market_Share+a_lifestyle_choice that a modern retail OS seems to be now.

Am I being pedantic? You betcha. But also marginally less subjective. :)