Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

On 16/02/14 15:38, Simon Avery wrote:
> On 16 February 2014 15:24, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx
> <mailto:mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Sorry Simon, but whilst I'm in rant mode I'm having a go at this too.
>

> You are positively grumpy today.
>

>     Yes, for god's sake, of course I think that. I don't only think that, I
>     know it from extensive experience. I can't believe there is even a
>     question about it, this is ridiculous.
>

> Er, no. You take a lot of words to rip apart my point, without going
> near my point.
>
> I did not say Win8 WITHOUT Metro, I said Win8. You read something else.
>
> My point is that stock Mint is more like the intuitive Windows interface
> than stock Win8 and that it is friendlier to many users.
>
> I stand by that statement, not the statement you think I made in your
> overly stroppy reply.
>
>     I'm not that idiot, and I sincerely hope none of you are either,
>     although I'm beginning to have my doubts.
>

> Getting personal now. Calm down. Argue your point well and without anger
> as I know you can, or I won't bother reading it.  I value your
> expertise, experience and ability to convey this, but life is too short
> to put up with abuse so I won't.

Well, fair enough - although this is only slightly cross, not actually
angry yet, I take your point. I don't think that I'm directly insulting
anyone as yet so I'm still on the right side of the fine line. So far.

I think this is just semantics at this point. You didn't say without
Metro to be fair, but then again no corporate user of Win8 is ever going
to see Metro, ever. No sysadmin will let that anywhere near their users.
GPOs will take care of that nonsense way before it hits any end-user
workstation so it's a moot point.

Which is kind of my issue with the whole Win8 hate fest. Nobody ever
needs to use or put up with Metro in Win8 - corporate users will have it
taken care of by their IT guys, and less competent home users will have
it taken care of by their IT friend. Everyone else will use google for
five seconds and disable it. Case closed. The point is that basically
nobody uses Metro and Win8 without it is perfectly usable and a much
less alien experience than any Linux distribution ever made. Even with
Metro still on, the users will only see it when looking for programs
they haven't already pinned to their taskbar or dropped a shortcut to on
their Desktop - again, the most hopeless users will have that done for
them by an admin and will be on their way again.

Metro is only about as sucky as Gnome3 or Unity without extensive
tweaking through gnome-tweak-tool, gnome shell extensions,
unity-tweak-tool, etc. I mean, it's exactly the same thing: a full
screen contextual search device. Seriously, compare a vanilla Win8.1
w/Metro vs Ubuntu w/Gnome3 or Unity: they're equally awful. At least
Win8.1 doesn't force a crappy Amazon "lens" on you and funnel your
search results through their servers for data mining eh?

I also completely reserve my right to label people I consider idiots as
idiots. Which isn't you, dear chap.

Regards