Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

On 16/02/2014 15:24, bad apple wrote:
> Take a lifetime office worker, who has spent all their working life on
> Windows 2000, XP, Vista. Which OS do you really think is going to be
> easier for them to adapt to - Win8 without Metro, or any Linux system?

I have enjoyed the interchange of views.

Like bad apple, I have to contend with a number of systems to earn my
crust, and I find some have significant "lock in" - profitable to vendor
and also to using company as employees get used to their system and do
work (Work is what pays the bills!)

I find the MS lock in revolves around:
Company works over many continents (The one I think of has entities in
80+ countries)
All work computers (3000+) work on MS systems XP / Vista / Windows 7
with gradual migration at present of XP to Win 7.
MS OS present
- MS Office 2010 present (except Communicator)
- MS Communicator 2007 present (for commonality but this sometimes
causes problems in interaction with MS Outlook)
-SAP mounted where used (Big problem at present trying to get production
factories out of their old systems (DOS era database type)and onto SAP
whereas accounts & office workers use SAP OK)
- MS Outlook is main tool for all communication.

To attempt to shift would be major disaster as only a sub set of this
can transfer to a Linux system.

As IT is in India, they can repair a booting computer for software
issues, but I use live Linux to start and get files etc off non booting
ones (no local IT guy so I am ''standby amateur'')

There are horses for courses.
I find MS has its good points and other OSs have their good points.
All have there intrinsic bad points.

When not in a lock in situation as above you can start SMBs on Linux but
they fall at the hurdle of accounts programs (non free ware that handle
VAT/ EU/ VAT properly for charities)  so accounts have MS Windows and
Sage or QuickBooks or whatever for which their  similar bookkeeping
folks in that money-line can exchange tips of how to work the systems.

Analogy: I ran a 'odd ball' military unit (divers with odd things to do)
there I used a real 'bad soldier' (with beautiful hands for defusing) as
my main defuser, even though he was a big pain to the unit. He had the
skills for the job. we got him there  and brought him back.
MS OS = diving
main users are OK
De-fusing explosives undersea use non-diver with correct skills (like a
Linux system to above main MS operations).

Never assume there is only one solution that is perfect!
--
regards
Eion MacDonald