Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

On 16/02/14 16:24, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> What a rotten apple!
>
> I for one will never buy a Windows license ever again, nor will I use a
> crappy hooky copy, You can stand by big bag Microsoft all you want but
> it's dead to me now.
>
> Regards, One humble user of Linux, aka moron, aka idiot, aka end user =P

As is your right!

For work reasons I will continue to pay for my annoyingly expensive
Technet access but personally I wouldn't touch a Windows OS as my daily
driver for love or money either. Linux is a far better system for my
needs, and I'd argue it's generally a better system full stop.

But I dislike factually incorrect statements being perpetuated. Win8 is
the best desktop OS Microsoft have ever produced (which of course may
not actually be saying much). It is superior to Win7. Metro is indeed
totally stupid and hateful, but it's so trivially ignored or disabled
all complaints about it are false flags, just like complaining about
individual DEs in Linux distributions. Just choose a different one: sudo
apt-getting KDE or Cinnamon to replace Unity is exactly the same as
choosing Classic Desktop instead of Metro on Windows, except switching
on Win8 is even easier. You literally check a single box. You are told
how to do this during the installation wizard for god's sake.

And when people say stupid things like headless mode is impossible on
Windows when server core has been around since Server 2008 it makes it
embarrassingly obvious that no actual experience of the systems in
question has taken place, just like most of the Win8 hate seems to be
from people who have quite obviously never used it and are just
parroting fashionable anti-MS fud. Lame.

Of course this doesn't work because I *do* actually use all these
systems day in, day out, so I'm in an excellent position to call
bullshit when I catch people spouting nonsense.

I'm just trying to keep you all honest :]

Regards