Re: [LUG] Install from source

On 12 January 2014 18:39, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes but you'd end up with even more confusing messages.

Not "would" -- "might".

In this case someone tried to run an executable script called configure when it was the wrong thing to do.

Ubuntu might have suggested a package with a file named configure - wrong.

Some other app might have found another file called configure and offered to run that.

And both would be fine, so long as the offer/suggestion was one you could refuse in each case.

I remember at the met office I wrote a script with a typo.

I would never do that. Of course. Fascinated by what this system was that "assumed" you "meant" g3dplot.

In the original case the user is confused and the computer has no context. You don't want AI second guessing our behaviour when we make these kind of mistakes.

Yes you do, so long as it's just guessing, not deciding (fairly easy?) and not adding to the confusion (harder but possible).

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63