Re: [LUG] Install from source

> On 12 Jan 2014, at 16:18, Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> There's enormous scope for fuzzy/AI-ish improvement beyond that.

Yes but you'd end up with even more confusing messages.

In this case someone tried to run an executable script called configure when it was
the wrong thing to do.

Ubuntu might have suggested a package with a file named configure - wrong.

Some other app might have found another file called configure and offered to run
that.

I remember at the met office I wrote a script with a typo. It was suppose to run
gplot but assumed my invalid typo was g3dplot, and instead of  returning me online
output with lots of graphs printed a great wad of graphs in 3d from the default
colour printer eating up the allocated use of that resource for my department.

In the original case the user is confused and the computer has no context. You don't
want AI second guessing our behaviour when we make these kind of mistakes.

I do agree with the idea we should take all reports seriously. Perhaps ask what was
the reason for not using the GNU build tools for this app, but they may be good
reasons.