Re: [LUG] Install from source

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014, George Parker wrote:

On 09/01/14 09:44, Tom wrote:
On 09/01/14 09:40, George Parker wrote:
I want to install an application from source using ./configure, make, make install. I know I've done this in the past with no problems but I have also had it fail with my current problem. When I run ./configure I get the message "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory" .

I think this is because Mint/Ubuntu does not install a programme, maybe a C compiler? Any ideas please. Google is not my friend in this case.

George

It sounds like there is simply no *configure* file. check for a *readme* for build instructions otherwise just try *make*
Tom te tom te tom

You could be right but why that error message?

Why not?

The error message was:

  bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

this means that bash (the program you type commands into) tried to run the configure program (from the current directory; ./), but the program (a file) did not exist.

What error message would you like it to print?

How about:

  This file does not exist. I've tried to find it for you, but really,
  it's not there, and I'm a computer, I know what I'm talking about.
  If you want me to try again, I will, but really, the file is not there.
  It is an ex-file, a file no more, it's gone to the great bit-bucket in
  the sky (if it ever existed in the first place, which frankly, I doubt)
  Retry, Abort or take up baking?

There are 100's of different ways to package up source code for programs. Autoconf (which you are trying to use here) was not the chosen method for this program. You need to try more things - start with the ls command, look for files called readme, readme.txt, install, install.txt and so on. Don't just follow one recipe because it worked for you in the past. Things change. Things are different and you can't make sourdough spelt bread with rye flour and yeast.

Gordon