Re: [LUG] flash - which distro

On 07/01/14 20:02, Brad Rogers wrote:

> I just know more than them.

Which is a marketable level of knowledge in almost any field.

It is really hard to judge how much you know on a topic like system
administration.

Really easy to find out what people don't know, which is why I always
bork at some of the Redhat certification exams, which seem to think
knowing every option to the major system admin commands is a
pre-requisite. I'm sure it helps if you can remember them all, but the
"man" command exists for a reason.

On the other hand when I interviewed for a replacement for me, I very
much went with discovering what people don't know, because it is quicker
and easier than discovering what they do know. Apparently this is
considered bad form, but then is so hiring people who don't know enough
to get started in a job.

Besides what I do know is ageing, so even when I think I know something,
I often check. Who knew Ubuntu now ships with YAMA LSM enabled by
default? So what I thought a sticky bit meant on files and directories
was a bit too specific to some other Unix systems and not specific
enough to the Linux distro in use at the time. I'm now absolutely
certain I don't know the precise implications of having the sticky bit
set, and also that re-reading the chmod manual page isn't enough to fix
that failing on all systems. Weeps into virtual beer, fairly sure I had
that as an interview question at several places, at least two of which
offered me the job.....