Re: [LUG] Desktop Linux

Hi All

Just to fill you on the HP. I have been speaking to the FreeNAS
community and finding out a bit more about using FreeNAS and also ZFS.

1. FreeNAS uses the whole drive. So if you have a 20gb drive FreeNAS
will use that completely for the OS. If you have a 250gb drive FreeNAS
will use the whole drive for the OS.
2. In order to run ZFS it is recommended that you have a minimum of
8gb memory available as it has a lot of overheads.

This is why you are encouraged to run of a bootable flash drive. You
can burn the os to a usb stick which is only 8gb in size.

In view of this my HP box needs upgrading in terms of ram and I need
to burn to a memory stick. I haven't been able to do this at the
moment. Could anybody help with this please? I have tried burning to a
stick a couple of times and it isn't bootable. I would happily
contribute towards beer fund etc if someone did this.

Also is it still best to go down the FreeNAS route?

Thanks

Rich

On 30 December 2013 12:00, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 30/12/13 11:51, Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> t looks like I don't have the option of booting from a usb drive.
>> When I look at boot device priority it says HDD or Network. Should
>> there be an option for usb please? Is it possible to load the os onto
>> the hd someway or if not looks like I need to get a dvd drive?
>>
>> Thanks
>

> My old Duron 1600 doesn't have that option either in the bios or in the
> boot menu, but I would guess if it is in the bios and enabled as a boot
> device then it would show up in the boot device menu.
>
> I am sure you could borrow a dvd drive from someone,  does the penzance
> maker space have one http://openshed.org/ you could take it down there,
> install the drive (if they have one) , install what you need then it's
> done.
>
> Paul
>
> --

---