Re: [LUG] Desktop Linux

The tasks I would love the desktop do are:
1. Act as a backup of all data from laptops and desktop (rsync)

Backuppc

2. Act as a repository for all movies
3. Act as a repository for all photos - sorting by date when an input is connected

Samba or nfs?

4. Act as a server to allow remote log in to access docs.
Assuming ssh, so any linux. Or VNC, so any linux + X + wm of your choice + vncserver.
I was thinking mini itx so I could hide the box away and also thinking headless. Any recommendations please?
For many the default choice for this would be an HP microserver. Cheap (often under £100 with hdd + ram with cashback offers), reliable, well built, linux compatible - lot to be said for them and I wouldn't argue against it.