Re: [LUG] Desktop Linux

On 24/12/13 09:54, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi Guys

After the recent help I got with the laptop I am wondering whether you can help me again.

In the discussion I realised that I was better off purchasing a desktop to perform the tasks I need at home and use the laptop simply as a mobile computer.

The tasks I would love the desktop do are:
1. Act as a backup of all data from laptops and desktop (rsync)
2. Act as a repository for all movies
3. Act as a repository for all photos - sorting by date when an input is connected
4. Act as a server to allow remote log in to access docs.

I was thinking mini itx so I could hide the box away and also thinking headless. Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Rich

--
---
Richard Brown

I've got a viglen mpx(?) which is apparently costs £2 pa in electricity to run and I run headless. I've got a 2TB usb portable harddrive plugged in as storage for everything. Its not out of sight - so if there is a fire I can grab the hardrive (I've another I sync to in a shed from time to time.) It runs xubuntu but cannot as yet upgrade to Precise as its cpu lacks a feature but I'm trying to build my own to keep secure.
Its only a 450Mhz geode CPU but its fine as a headless server.
Tom te tom te tom