Re: [LUG] Storm chasing / Surge Protection

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 08:53:21AM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Many years ago when I was self employed my accountant chappy said to me that tax evasion was illegal, don't do it, but tax avoidance on the other hand was sensible.

By this he meant don't forget to claim everything that you are entitled to, so don't pay tax if you don't need to.

Nowadays the whole attitude seems to have changed, and tax avoidance is now frowned upon. I'm pleased to be retired now.

I hope all members of this list have ISA's, and pensions. Both reduce your tax.

Its when you push the boundaries you can get problems

It is worthwhile repeating HMRC words

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/avoidance/vision-strategy.htm
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/avoidance/aag-risk-assessing.htm
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/avoidance/spotlights.htm

Followed up by the newly introduced General Anti Avoidance rule
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/avoidance/gaar.htm

If you have questions: please speak to your accountant / solicitors financial adviser

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately