Re: [LUG] Storm chasing / Surge Protection

On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 05:13:31PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

True.  But being fitted in the CU it's no longer a user serviceable
item.  Most people won't even know what it is either and although I'm a
qualified electrician, I've never done Part P certification(0) so,
theoretically, I can't fit them.  Where I live, all the household
supplies are overhead, so people would benefit from the retrofit(1).

Anyhow, at least mains born surges will be catered for(2), but even
though telephone circuitry is, in theory at least, surge protected IME,
it's inadequate for the job.

I have lost all computers once to mains based surge, and it seems we lose power for about 30 mins to an hour at least once a year. Not really sure why: at least one was a silly b77777r down the road who did something that he should have asked a professional to do.

(1) Every time I suggest to customers that their electrical installation
be upgraded(3) to something more modern I get accused of trying to
generate more work, even though I can't do it for them (ahem).

Been there, using a professional can cost a lot but sometimes a lot less than someone who isn't. I no longer even try and explain.

Ditto I have always find that cutting maintenance is a easy way to cut costs: until something breaks.

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately