Re: [LUG] Storm chasing / Surge Protection

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 16:07:11 +0100
Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Henry,

>Yes, Â200 was the price I paid but I then compared it to:
>- Getting new surge suppressors for the various computers, TV, router

Ten 6 way suppressed extension leads can be bought for Â130.  Enough to
do most houses, I'd have thought.  There's probably no more than a
tenner's worth of bits in those CU (Consumer Unit - the proper name for
what most people call the fuse box) SPDs.

>- When he came in, he spotted that the boiler had not been earthed
>- The simplicity of working out when I needed to replace a surge
>supressor

True.  But being fitted in the CU it's no longer a user serviceable
item.  Most people won't even know what it is either and although I'm a
qualified electrician, I've never done Part P certification(0) so,
theoretically, I can't fit them.  Where I live, all the household
supplies are overhead, so people would benefit from the retrofit(1).

Anyhow, at least mains born surges will be catered for(2), but even
though telephone circuitry is, in theory at least, surge protected IME,
it's inadequate for the job.

(0) I qualified many, many years before Part P, and no longer do
sufficient electrical work to make it worth the expense of certification.

(1) Every time I suggest to customers that their electrical installation
be upgraded(3) to something more modern I get accused of trying to
generate more work, even though I can't do it for them (ahem).

(2) How well remains to be seen, of course.

(3) Many CUs in this area still don't have MCBs, never mind RCDs.

--
 Regards  _
Early morning when I wake up, I look like Kiss but without the make up