Re: [LUG] website

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012, Neil Williams wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:05:00 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So why has it been the same old site with the same guys & gals on the
front page for what seems like years now?

I didn't put that image there and anyone who can keep track of their
login credentials is able to change it.

I have a login. I can not change it. There is information on the site about me which I want to change, which I can't. It's possible I'm missing some vital bit of information, some link that's buried somewhere, but logged in now, and I can see no way to change the picture.

It has been there for years - it was a LUG BBQ in August a year or two
before I moved away.

The website doesn't matter - the list has always been what makes the
LUG.

TBH, I'm not sure how relevant the LUG is any longer. Maybe it is time
to think about whether we even need the website.

Whether we even need the website!

What cave are you living in then???

And if you don't want the website, why so much fuss about starting a new one?

may have escaped your notice but I run a hosting company. Want free
hosting? It's there for the taking.

Been there, done that. Moved to hosting which actually works.

Are you saying that my hosting company doesn't work then? Or are you saying that because you had bad experience of someone elses offer of free hosting? Please clarify.

However now that you are using commercial hosting why are you whinging on about the cost? You can't have it both ways. If you want to fund the server, then fine. Don't whinge about the cost. If you do not want to pay for the server, then there are other ways.

(And Simon works for a web design company - hosting? It's available for
free, perk of the job, isn't it? Although I do understand that sometimes
you need to keep work and fun separate)

Been there, done that. Moved the server.

Oh, and incidentally, what are we doing about the Raspberry Pi?

Nothing. Raspberry Pi is the wrong CPU design, ARMv6 instead of ARMv5 or
ARMv7. Every one else is on ARMv5 or ARMv7. Pi went for 6 because it
was cheap but it was cheap because nobody else wanted to use it. Pi is a
cul-de-sac and a toy. Despite initial promise, it is not a viable
platform - for education or development. There's a lot of work going in
to Raspbian but any distro which is specific to a single CPU design is
already dead. Just a question of time. Anyone actually have a use for a
distribution which works on 80386 but not on a Pentium or later?

You've screwed up there then and missed the point completely. The Raspberry Pi is a Linux computer and it needs Linux experts to help newbies use and understand it. You can not deny that there has been one million sales (because there has), so that's potentially one million new Linux users to tap into. If you ignore then then that's your loss (and that of the comunity) There will be another million Pi's sold in 2013. Probably more. It maybe well be a 2-3 year project but it's a means to an end, not a dead end.

And despite Debians pompus anti-Pi stance, it's running Debian! That's the same Debian that you help promote and do work for! That's what real enthusiasts do for real projects - they make it happen, and they did. I run Debian on my Pi's and it's fantastic - not thanks to Debian themselves, but thanks to the active work from the Pi community.

I'm going back to lurking now. I've got more important stuff to get done today.

So why are you still here? You don't live in Devon or Cornwall, you moved away how many years ago? 8? Yet you are still dabbling in our affairs... You contribute nothing to the list, nothing to the web site, are stuck in the past with your old-fashined ideas about mailing lists and don't want a LUG website. You're whinging about the running cost of the website, whinging about "apache bots", bandwidth and disk space.

Humbugs to you.

Gordon