Re: [LUG] Website and more generally apathy was Re: website

For my 2p worth: I like the mailing list - I have my LUG email kept separate from my personal or work-based emails, but I have them all come through to my phone. This way I can keep up with the goings on and discussions (which I usually find interesting, even if I don't post or reply much). I wouldn't get that with a forum.

I do think the LUG could do with a lick of paint, and potentially some more web activity, as well as actual people meeting each other style activity, but I don't see that we need to ditch what we already have - just a bit of tarting up wouldn't go amiss.

The LUG already has a Twitter account to which I currently hold the keys. I have my Twitter app setup to only notify me of direct messages and mentions. If you want me to tweet or retweet something from the @DCGLUG account, the tweet it to me - I may also re/tweet from my personal and/or work accounts as well to increase coverage.

I am fully aware of my almost complete lack of involvement this year to date - I plucked up the courage to jack in my job and go self employed fulltime, and I'm sure those of you who are also fulltime self employed will remember how much work the first year is, frequently with very little return on your efforts; I also moved house (still in Plymouth); list my mother and my dog in the same week, and a host of other personal complications.

The LUG is important to me as it has been a significant and relatively stable part of my life for just over a decade now. Next year, my personal and work life is looking promisingly stable (so far as I can predict), so I would really like to make more of the LUG - attend more meetings, meet more people, establish regular Plymouth meetings and verbally get more involved.

The LUG is not Paul, it is all of us. It is what WE make it, and it is what we make OF it.

Grant.