[LUG] No need to bash Unity...

On Mon, 2012-11-05 at 16:12 +0000, bad apple wrote:
On 05/11/12 15:49, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>>Unity is irrelevant to me.

>>*chortles* Good man: if this was a test, you'd have just passed...
> As I understand it not many people like Unity, even, or perhaps
> especially Gnome users.
Mark Shuttleworth is the only person alive who likes Unity, and I'm not even sure about him.

I don't really get why the vocal bash Unity.   I suspect I am about to find out why no-one raises their head above the parapet  to say they like unity but here goes:

I like unity.  As someone who spent 15 years using SunOS/Solaris at the command line I think the HUD is a one of the best features of a GUI I have come across, if you want to drive it from the keyboard you can, if you'd rather use a mouse that works too...  For commonly used apps the launcher works really well. What's not to like? !!! The move to allow webapps to be first class citizens is excellent too...

Ubuntu should be applauded for bringing a desktop version of Linux that novice users can use and hardcore keyboard users can use still be productive on and also one that will work for touch based devices too.  If you look at Windows 8/RT you'll see how difficult a feat that is.  If it's not your cup of tea then stick with Gnome, KDE, et al. They are just an apt-get away, no need to bash it (pun intended).

BTW, I agree that Ubuntu made a mistake by making it the default Desktop in 11.10, it was ok but buggy and lacked some basic configuration options but the version introduced with 12.04 worked well and the version with 12.10 is really good.   But even that decision has some merit as the alternative was sticking with Gnome 2 for another release.

Malcolm