Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On 05/11/12 15:49, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On 03/11/12 18:00, bad apple wrote:
>
>> sudo apt-get install keepass2
>> sudo apt-get install clamav
>> sudo apt-get install openssh-server (I still can't understand why this
>> is not installed by default on Ubuntu, Mint, etc)
>> sudo apt-get install gufw && gksudo gufw
>> sudo apt-get install gparted && gksudo gparted (gparted is a graphical
>> partitioning tool)
>> sudo apt-get install fail2ban (it will set itself up with a basic but
>> workable configuration out of the box)
>> sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
>>
> I have been looking through your email (mostly snipped), thanks.
> I use keepass already, but I did not know that there was a new version.
> Seahorse seems to be for Gnome.
>
> You mention gufw which I assume is a Gnome program. If this is to look
> after setting up keys for gpg then I suppose, as a KDE user, I would use
> kgpg instead? Likewise instead of gksudo I use kdesudo.
>
> I already have gparted installed and use it to reformat memory sticks
> for example.
>
> Openssh-server is new to me, but I may well not need this. Will research
> it to see. Likewise fail2ban.
>
> Unity is irrelevant to me.
>
> I expect to be installing the new distro very soon, so I am trying to
> get all research done first.
>
> Neil

Oh yes, I forgot you're a KDE user - I tend to use just about every DE
except KDE (I loathe it with a vengeance I'm afraid) and automatically
assume everyone else is using Gnome/Unity/XFCE as well, especially with
the Debian derivatives.

You're completely right though - GUFW is a Gnome app, but although
desktop integration won't be quite as nice when you start mixing and
matching Gnome/KDE elements you won't usually run into any problems -
I've got a bunch of KDE apps and all of the KDE development libraries
installed now on my Gnome3 desktop for example. And you're also using
Gparted already yourself, which is a Gnome app. But for you, yes, of
course feel free to stick to more 'native' KDE tools as appropriate,
like kdesudo, kgpg, etc.

A KDE using friend pointed out this firewall GUI to me -
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/UFW+KControl+Module?content=137789.
I've never personally used it myself but I'm assured it works fine.
Alternatively, there are plenty of other DE-agnostic firewall frontends
you can use like Firestarter, etc. I've never tried but I don't see any
reason why GUFW wouldn't work fine on KDE as well, although it might
look a bit ugly - ultimately, GUFW is just a frontend to UFW (the
terminal-based backend, which is itself only a proxy to the actual
iptables tool) but I'm not sure - maybe a KDE user could chime in?

Openssh is totally optional - it's just that it's such an integral part
of my daily life and workflow I can't imagine not having it by default.
Even my (jailbroken, obviously) iPhone runs sshd and it's the first
thing I install and configure on any machine I touch. I use it for
literally everything (secure proxy, file transfer, general admin,
reverse tunnels for dodging crappy NAT firewalls, etc, etc) and it's an
ideal and simple solution for your home network file sharing needs
without getting your hands too dirty. Of course, if you don't feel you
need it, don't install it! Having the choice is nice - you can always
install it to play with it as it won't do any harm just running, or
install it later when you've had a chance to evaluate it properly, or
completely nuke it if it's worthless to you.

Unity is irrelevant to me.

*chortles* Good man: if this was a test, you'd have just passed...

Cheers